- Vehicle information - Be ready to provide the make and model of the vehicles you want to insure, the primary use of the vehicle (to/from work, for pleasure, etc.), annual mileage, information on ownership (owned, leased or financed) and list who the car is registered to (you, spouse, you and spouse, leasing company, etc.) The vehicle identification number (VIN) is required by some insurers that pull data about the vehicle and its registration directly from the DMV.
- General questions - Your name, birthdate, address, marital status, and other personal information pertinent to the quoting and buying process.
- Drivers and household residents - Names of all licensed household drivers, their education and occupation, license status, and how long they've been licensed (or age at which got licensed) normally must be known.
- Violations or an incident - If you've had any traffic violations, accidents or claims in the last five to seven years it's helpful to have that information on hand. You may need to answer questions about the violation type, violation date, accident type, accident/claim date, if there were injuries, if there were property damage, if your insurer or other insurer paid and the amount of the claim payout.
- Coverage selection - You may be asked about your current insurer, if you've been continuously insured, your current limits and your expiration date. You'll then need to choose the coverages you want to include on your policy and limits (if the selected coverage has different levels). If coverages have deductibles associated with them, an amount must be chosen.
Shopping? What The Insurance Company Will Ask
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.