"About two-thirds of the timberland's inventory is Douglas fir, which we have more than 100 years experience owning and managing," executive vice president Thomas F. Gideon added on the call.
Gideon said the acquired land will enhance the buyer's export prospects. "The highest quality logs are going to Japan, which represents more than 80% of our export market. The Japanese value the favorable properties of Douglas fir, including its size, its strength, its stiffness, its resistance to splitting and its ability to stay straight," he explained.
Longview Timber generated $43 million in Ebitda and investment distributions of about $20 million for the first quarter, said CFO Patricia Bedient on the call. Weyerhaeuser said it would realize about $20 million in annual synergies through the deal.
A committed senior unsecured bridge facility from Morgan Stanley will support the financing, Weyerhaeuser added. The buyer plans to raise up to $558 million through the sale of mandatory convertible preference shares and up to $884 million of common stock to finance its $2.4 billion acquisition of Longview Timber, according to Securities and Exchange Commission filings. In addition to the equity issuance, the company said it plans to raise $1.22 billion in debt and use $335 million in cash to pay for the acquisition. The convertible shares will be priced at $50 per share and total up to 11.5 million with an underwriter option. The common share offering will total up to 32.2 million if underwriters exercise the option.Meanwhile, Weyerhaeuser said on the call the time was right for a strategic review of its homebuilding business because of improving economic conditions. Analysts had predicted a sale of this unit since at least November 2011, seeing it as noncore to Weyerhaeuser's role as a timber producer. A source put the value of the homebuilding unit at between $2.4 billion and $3.1 billion. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV