BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- 2013 has been the year of the consumer stock. Over the course of the 15% S&P 500 rally that's taken hold since the start of the year, big consumer-driven names have posted significant outperformance. That's part of the reason why the Dow has outperformed the more diversified S&P by nearly 2% since the calendar flipped over to January.
As the market has bounced higher, consumer discretionary stocks have taken leadership in a big way -- and they've traded the torch off to consumer staples on every correction. Even though the slow trading of the summer is taking hold this month, there haven't been any signs to suggest that consumer stock favoritism is slowing down.
That's why we're taking a fresh technical look at five big consumer stocks today.For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. So, without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now. >>5 Hated Earnings Stocks That Deserve Your Love
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV