CHICAGO, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S. mutual fund asset flows through May 2013. Investors added another $38.6 billion to long-term mutual funds in May, led by taxable-bond funds with inflows of $21.1 billion. Morningstar estimates net flow by computing the change in assets not explained by the performance of the fund. Click here for a full explanation of Morningstar's methodology.
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- Despite investors' continued preference for fixed income, the composition of inflows to the asset class has shifted. Weak flows into intermediate-term bond funds mark a clear shift in investor behavior from 2012, when the category dominated inflows. Investors have sought out less interest rate-sensitive bond sectors recently, like nontraditional bond and bank-loan funds.
- U.S. equity funds saw outflows of $659 million in May, driven by redemptions of $1.9 billion from large-growth funds. However, with inflows of $8.5 billion, international-equity funds remained in favor, led by diversified emerging-markets funds.
- Municipal-bond funds saw net redemptions for the third consecutive month while money market funds collected new assets of $27.2 billion, their first monthly inflow of 2013.
- Vanguard led all providers in May. Franklin Templeton also had a strong month, driven by inflows into Templeton Global Bond. While PIMCO remained in second place in terms of fund family flows, its $2.5 billion intake in May was its weakest showing for the year to date.
To view the complete report, please visit http://www.global.morningstar.com/mayflows13. To view a video recapping March's U.S. asset flow trends, please visit http://bit.ly/may2013flows. For more information about Morningstar Asset Flows, please visit http://global.morningstar.com/assetflows.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. References to and commentary on the above mentioned mutual funds should not be considered a solicitation to buy or sell that fund.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV