AES today announced it plans to bring an additional 40 megawatts (MW) of advanced energy storage resources to PJM Interconnection, which controls the power grid for 60 million people in the Northeast and Midwest regions of the United States. To be located at Dayton Power and Light’s (DP&L) Tait generating station, just south of Dayton, Ohio, the AES battery array will provide frequency regulation service to the PJM market and bring new energy technology to Ohio that is safe, reliable, does not bear direct emissions and does not require water. This facility is the first of its kind in the state.
This announcement comes on the heels of AES’ recent 400,000 megawatt-hours (MW-h) service milestone within PJM at its Laurel Mountain facility. When the Tait storage array comes online, which is expected to occur in September 2013, it will bring the company’s storage resources in PJM to more than 100 MW, all operating on AES’ patented control system, sOS™. This will be the third project within PJM to run on the software and the fifth overall. The PJM-specific module of sOS™ employs AES market expertise and PJM-specific operating experience to most efficiently control the array within the market’s unique dispatch model. This extensible AES sOS™ platform has been proven in multiple commercial settings and with multiple underlying battery technologies.
“Having served within PJM for many years, we are pleased to expand AES’ standing in the market with energy storage assets across West Virginia, Pennsylvania and now Ohio,” said Phil Herrington, President and CEO, DP&L. “We look forward to working with the city of Moraine on this project as part of the expertise that AES is bringing to the community and continuing to deliver safe, reliable and sustainable energy solutions that utilize energy storage to better serve PJM and other key markets.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV