NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- My suggested allocation to stocks continues to include at least 50% out of the market in cash equivalents. Part of the amounts invested in the stock market should be allocated to buy rated stocks in the Dow Industrial Average.
On May 22 when I wrote, Allocate Assets to Buy-Rated Dow Stocks there were 15 buy rated names to choose from. Today the ranks of the buy rated companies has thinned to 10, which is a warning that the stock market could be vulnerable in the second half of the year.
Fundamentally www.ValuEngine.com still shows that stocks are trading under the cloud of a valuation warning with more than 65% of all stocks overvalued.
In the Dow industrials there are two stocks rated sell, Boeing (BA) ($103.03) which has a monthly value level at $96.22 and a weekly risky level at $108.69, and DuPont (DD) ($53.70) which has a monthly value level at $48.23 and a weekly risky level at $59.73. The Dow has 18 hold rated components.Investors should consider booking profits on Dow components not shown in today's table of stocks. Note that only one out of 10 buy rated Dow stocks is undervalued that seven had double-digit gains of 10.0% to 45.5% over the last 12 months. The projected gains for the next 12 months should be limited to 4.6% to 8.8%. Caution flags are up as the 12 month trailing price-to-earnings ratios are becoming elevated between 14.7 and 23. All but one is above its 200-day simple moving averages which risks reversion to the mean.
Reading the TableOV/UN Valued: Stocks with a red number are undervalued by this percentage. Those with a black number are overvalued by that percentage according to ValuEngine. VE Rating: A "1-engine" rating is a strong sell, a "2-engine" rating is a sell, a "3-engine" rating is a hold, a "4-engine" rating is a buy and a "5-engine" rating is a strong buy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV