CHICAGO, June 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (NYSE: UAL) today increased its 787 Dreamliner order to 65 aircraft (including six previously delivered aircraft) with an order for 20 787-10s. United is the North American launch customer for the 787-10 and it expects delivery of its first aircraft in 2018. United ordered 10 incremental 787-10 aircraft and will convert 10 existing 787s on order to 787-10s, enabling the airline to further modernize its international widebody fleet by replacing older, less efficient aircraft. The advanced technology and composite construction of the 787 reduce fuel burn and carbon emissions, while providing a superior customer experience.
Expanding the 787 Dreamliner fleetUnited is currently the only U.S. airline to operate the 787. United has six new 787-8 aircraft in service and had previous orders for an additional 49 Dreamliners consisting of both the -8 and -9 variants. The 787-10 is a stretched version of the 787-9 and will offer the lowest fuel burn per seat of any aircraft in its size category. The 787 offers up to 20 percent better fuel efficiency per seat than similarly sized aircraft, due in part to the more than 50 percent composite makeup of its structure. The 787 also boasts an enhanced inflight experience including larger windows, larger overhead bins and lower cabin altitude with enhanced ventilation systems that reduce the effects of jet lag.
Fleet modernization"Advanced technology aircraft like the 787-10 are key to United's future, enabling us to fly fuel-efficient, customer-pleasing aircraft that are the right size for many long-haul markets in our unparalleled network," said
Jeff Smisek, United's chairman, president and CEO. "At United, we continue to modernize our fleet to operate our airline more efficiently, while improving the flight experience for our customers and work environment for our co-workers."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV