NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The last time I talked about Jabil Circuit (JBL) I said the company was going to remain in a "holding pattern" for the foreseeable future. I didn't believe it was going to take this long.
The company is in the midst of a very important transition that has been going on for almost a year. Although Jabil is one of the best brands in the electronics manufacturing service (EMS) business, the company has bigger ambitions including building its capabilities in diversified manufacturing, an area where (among others) Apple (AAPL) is a very important customer.
Unfortunately, entering the diversified manufacturing space has come at a pretty significant cost to shareholders. After trading as high as $27.40 a year ago, the stock has fallen to $16.39 two months ago -- losing as much as 40%. I don't believe this trading pattern will remain this way indefinitely. Investors, however, remain unsure.
I don't doubt Jabil is making the right transition and taking the necessary steps to ensure its long-term viability, but I do question the aggressiveness and the toll it has taken on Jabil's core business. With third-quarter earnings due out on Wednesday, management will have a chance to change the stock's near-term trajectory.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV