NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It's very rare a company can double in share price in a six-month period and still be a mystery to investors.
This puts shares of memory maker Micron Technology (MU) in very exclusive company. In fact, since the stock bottomed at $5.16 on Oct. 24, Micron is up a remarkable 147%. With third-quarter earnings results coming up on Wednesday, investors want to know if they should lock in profits now or stay in.
However, I don't think that's the right question to ask especially since the stock is known for its volatility. Investors still seem unsure of what Micron or its business based on flash memory. Micron's memory business consists of NOR and NAND, non-volatile storage technologies that requires no power to retain data.
Although these two standards share some similarities, they serve different purposes. For instance, in products like MP3 players, which requires higher capacity storage, NAND would be the choice, whereas the speed and efficiency of the NOR platform would be found mobile phones.While Micron has been credited for having perfected this market, the company has never really been alone. Rivals includnig SanDisk (SNDK) and Applied Materials (AMAT) have proven to be worthwhile competitors. When you throw a dominant power like Samsung into the mix, the space gets crowded pretty quickly. With weak leverage, Micron began to lose market share to SanDisk and Samsung. Making matters worse was the declining PC, which impacted upon Micron's DRAM or dynamic random access memory, business -- the type often found in personal computers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV