NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Residential real estate investment trusts were the worst performing group in financial sector, amid mixed expectations the Federal Reserve could begin "tapering" up to $85 billion in monthly mortgage bond purchases starting this fall.
The largest residential REITs on the S&P 500 Index, including Equity Residential (EQR), AvalonBay Communities (AVB) and Apartment Investment and Management Co. (AIV), all lost ground in Monday trading, as the financial sector and broader indexes fluctuated between gains in excess of 1%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV