As Southern Californians prepare for summer, Southern California Edison (SCE) is asking customers to be especially conservation-minded to help keep the electric grid stable and reliable during hot weather when energy use spikes, particularly without the power generated from the San Onofre nuclear plant.
Last summer, SCE customers saved 300 megawatts through conservation measures — enough to power about 200,000 homes.
“While Edison has been doing all that it can to prepare to supply power without help from the San Onofre plant, customer conservation is still a must,” said Erwin Furukawa, SCE senior vice president for customer service. “Now is the time to enroll in our conservation programs and start practicing conservation behaviors that can make a big difference for the grid.”
SCE is taking measures to make up for critical power generation resources that will not be available this year with the retirement of the San Onofre nuclear plant. SCE continues to make critical infrastructure improvements to its transmission systems and is bringing online 1,900 megawatts of generation — enough to power 1.23 million homes at a point in time — from Walnut Creek Energy Park in the City of Industry, CPV Sentinel Energy Project in the Coachella Valley and the El Segundo Generating Station.Some ways customers can help improve grid reliability and control costs include:
- Enrolling in programs such as the Summer Discount Plan, which offers up to $200 in bill credits for customers who allow SCE to temporarily disable their central air conditioner
- Opting into Save Power Days, a program that provides bill credits in exchange for reducing energy usage during peak periods, from 2-6 p.m., on designated days.
- Keeping the thermostat set to 78 or above, using fans to make a room feel at least 5 degrees cooler, and drawing drapes during the hottest part of the day.
- Using LED and CFL light bulbs not only keep bills lower, but they create less heat than old, inefficient incandescent bulbs in the home.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV