NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Time Warner Cable ( TWC) shares fell Monday after speculation of a takeover by Liberty Media Corp ( LMCA) -controlled Charter Communications ( CHTR) appeared unlikely in the short term.
Time Warner Cable dropped 2.5% to $101.29 after soaring 8% on Friday after CNBC reported that the two companies had discussed a merger.
In a note, Raymond James analysts said the deal had no "foundation in reality," leading to Time Warner shares to slump.
Stamford, Conn.-based Charter holds the fourth-largest market capitalization in the U.S. cable industry at $11.9 billion following Comcast (CMCSA), DirecTV and Time Warner Cable. The company operates in the South, while Time Warner largelt services the East Coast.Speculation of Liberty Media's expansionary ambitions emerged after John Malone, Chairman of Liberty Media, stated at a June 7th shareholder's meeting, that the firm's strong balance sheet and stock valuation would allow it to be a "horizontal acquisition machine looking at other assets in the U.S. cable business." With programming costs rising, and the need to update systems to compete with the quicker and newer internet networks that Verizon (VZ) and Google (GOOG) are implementing with Fios and Google Fiber, established cable companies are thinking of consolidating to garner the necessary capital. Time Warner CEO Glenn Britt, 64, is expected to step down at the end of the year when his contract expires.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV