Strictly speaking, small business (SMB) owners may not be superheroes, but, like their caped colleagues, they do have secret identities.
In celebration of National Small Business Week (June 17 – 21), Deluxe Corp. is publishing a new social media-based app to help “unmask” SMB owners by asking what motivated them to start their businesses. Inspired by Deluxe’s recent research into the “DNA” of America’s Small Business Owners, the “ 7 Types of Small Business Owners” app is available on Deluxe’s Facebook page.
This fast and easy quiz asks SMB owners 11 short “Yes” or “No” questions about the motivations behind their business startups – such as “Did you start your business because you didn't want to work for someone else?”, “Did you start your business from a passion of yours?”, and ”Did you start your business to get a fresh start?” Based on their unique answers, participants are categorized into one of seven distinct SMB owner profiles. They can also see what percentage of other owners fall into the same group.
The “ 7 Types of Small Business Owners” app is based on the analysis of the DNA survey. Highlighting the distinct motivations and attitudes of SMB owners, the categories include:
- All Heart : They are in business for one reason only – they want to do what they love and share it with others.
- Encore Career : Team players who are entering a second phase of their careers and took a risk with starting their own businesses.
- Passionately Confident : Risk-takers who are born to be business owners, enjoy choosing their own paths and are very passionate about their life’s work.
- All in the Family : Traditional-types who inherited their status as SMB owners, accounting for their long tenure and larger business size.
- My Way : Self-motivated owners who started their own businesses for the opportunity to get what they most value – control over their schedules and hours.
- Mastering the Niche : Visionaries who began their businesses because they saw an opportunity and wanted to capitalize on it.
- Boss-me-not : Experienced business professionals who left their for-profit, corporate, and entirely-unrelated jobs for one reason – to be their own bosses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV