JACKSONVILLE, Fla., June 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- CSX Corporation (NYSE:CSX) today released its 2012 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report detailing the company's environmental, social, governance and financial performance. The full report is accessible at the company's microsite, www.CSXCSR.com, which highlights CSX's sustainability and corporate citizenship efforts in action.
"At CSX, we are committed to the relentless pursuit of excellence," said Michael J. Ward, chairman, president and chief executive officer. "Operating a sustainable, transparent company is an important element of this commitment, and our CSR report demonstrates how we put these values into practice. It's also evidence that CSX's environmental stewardship and employee and community engagement work in tandem with our continued strong financial and operational performance."
The CSR report measures CSX's environmental performance and documents the company's commitment to managing its environmental footprint. Key environmental achievements in 2012 include:
- Progressing toward the company's goal to reduce GHG emissions intensity between 6 and 8 percent from 2011 levels by 2020;
- Continuing to invest in technologies to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions from locomotives;
- Training nearly 30,000 employees in environmental stewardship programs.
The report also discusses CSX's role as an employer and corporate citizen. In 2012, CSX continued to support local communities where it operates and strengthen a diverse, engaged workforce through these accomplishments:
- Achieved exceptional safety results, including the fewest ever employee injuries toward the goal of zero injuries;
- Hired approximately 2,400 employees, 26 percent of which were military veterans;
- Provided more than $14 million in corporate giving to communities;
- Logged more than 26,000 hours of employee volunteer time, an increase of more than 6,000 over the previous year;
- Partnered with numerous national and local organizations, including City Year, Future Farmers of America, National Safe Place, Dignity U Wear, Alliance for Community Trees and The Nature Conservancy, as well as public-private partnerships, like the innovative, ongoing High Line project in New York City.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts