On the earnings conference call, management said the company expects to reach 1.25 million paid subscribers by the end of this year. That's an aggressive target, considering that the company ended the first quarter with 479,000 subscribers. Adobe has about 2 million users on free trial.
Companies don't set goals they don't feel is really achievable. And so investors can expect roughly 775,000 additional paid subscribers by the end of the year, which amounts to roughly 260,000 per quarter. That is an important number to keep an eye on in Tuesday's earnings report.
Given the recent challenges that other software companies such as Oracle (ORCL) and Red Hat (RHT) have experienced, investors will be eager to hear what Adobe's management says. What's more, since the first-quarter report, the company's chief technology officer, Kevin Lynch, left to join Apple (AAPL).
Other questions will be answered in the second-quarter report, and so investors will learn whether the company can maintain its momentum.In the meantime, there is no debate about the quality of Adobe's management team and the direction it is taking this company. I still rate the stock a strong buy and expect shares to reach $50 in the second half of the year. At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL and held no position in the other stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV