CEO Cites Growing Crisis
EMERYVILLE, Calif., June 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Dr. Ron Najafi, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of NovaBay Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NYSE:NBY) today announced NovaBay's support for legislation by U.S. Rep. Jim Matheson (D-UT) to attack the growing crisis of antibiotic resistance. NovaBay is a biotechnology company focused on addressing the large unmet therapeutic needs of the global anti-infective market with first-in-class compounds such as its proprietary Aganocides ®.
"NovaBay believes that there must be a multi-pronged, comprehensive approach to combating antimicrobial resistance and Rep. Matheson's bill is an important contribution," Dr. Najafi said. "We've reached a critical tipping point where we must replace antibiotics, whenever possible, with safe and effective alternatives that kill bacteria without developing resistance. "The Strategies to Address Antimicrobial Resistance (STAAR) Act, H.R. 2285, is aimed at improving the understanding and monitoring of the cause and spread of antimicrobial resistant infections and improving antibiotic development, Matheson said. "Antimicrobial resistance is often caused by the overuse of antibiotics. My bill addresses this problem by calling for data collection on antibiotic use as well as research to combat so-called 'superbugs,'" Matheson said. In the policy arena, NovaBay advocates for:
- The elimination of tons of antibiotic that is used as livestock feed additive and which alone account for 80% of all antibiotics used and thrown away into our environment;
- Developing non-antibiotic antimicrobial technologies with low probability of developing resistance and which would have the strong potential of replacing the antibiotics currently in use;
- Rapid identification of bacteria so that the proper antibiotic can be prescribed and, when antibiotics are necessary, using the best practices to avoid generating resistant bacteria and transmitting them from one patient to another, and;
- Proper disposal of leftover antibiotics and preventing them from getting into our landfills and sewers, which are brewing ground for antibiotic resistant bacteria.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV