IRVINGTON, N.Y., June 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MELA Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:MELA), the medical device company that has developed MelaFind ®, today announced that Joseph V. Gulfo has resigned as Chairman, President, Chief Executive Officer, and member of the Board of Directors effective June 15, 2013. Robert C. Coradini, a member of the Board of Directors since December 2011, will serve as interim CEO while the board conducts a search for a new CEO. Mr. Coradini has over 20 years experience in the health care industry leading and managing businesses for Johnson & Johnson and GE Medical Systems (currently known as GE Healthcare).
While at Johnson & Johnson, Mr. Coradini held numerous senior leadership positions – he has been President of various subsidiaries of J&J, including Lifescan, Cordis Endovascular and Cardiovations (Ethicon) and was the head of business development of the Medical Devices & Diagnostics Group. He was most recently President of New Ventures of the Johnson & Johnson Consumer Group of Companies where he was responsible for the OrthoNeutrogena division (currently known as Ortho Dermatologics), a leader in dermatology, which was acquired by Valeant International.
"We are thankful for Joseph's leadership over the past nine years as the company has undergone a successful transformation from product development, to FDA Approval, to early commercial launch of MelaFind® in the US and Germany," said Mr. Coradini. "The Board and I believe in the technology as a major advance for dermatologists in their fight against Melanoma. It is our intent to work closely with these physicians to succeed. We wish Joseph the best in the next phase of his career."Upon this change, David K. Stone, who has served as Lead Independent Director, will assume the role of Chairman of the board and will lead the search for Mr. Gulfo's replacement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV