This is not an operational issue, it is a personnel issue. She is willing to step away and know that the company will remain strong. Lululemon now needs a leader to step into Day's role and execute the plan in front of them.
The growth, international expansion and sales are all still intact. The company even raised its full year estimates, albeit slightly. I get that Day was important to shareholders and that this announcement had some form of shock factor to it but investors should ask themselves one important question: Is Christine Day worth 20% of the share price? If the answer is "no," they should be buying.
Day didn't even need to say what she did for us to know that the company is fine. The pants problem is in the past, the company beat earnings, raised estimates and this apparel giant is going to continue into its next phase of growth.
Although Lululemon's level of revenue growth is much closer -- and is actually higher -- than that of Under Armour (UA), its valuation isn't. At least, in the short-term that is. Lululemon now has a price-to-earnings ratio of 36, whereas Under Armour's is more than 50. This is a classic overreaction and soon investors will see that Lululemon is a steal, especially when compared to its rivals.At least the Canadian-based company can have a laugh or two about it. This morning when I went to its Web site, a giant red banner on the homepage read, "CEO Wanted. Click Here To Apply." Follow @traderboy23 This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV