BALTIMORE, June 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Comcast, one of the nation's leading providers of entertainment, information, and communications products and services, today announced the launch of the X1 Platform from Xfinity in the Greater Baltimore area. Unlike any other video service available, X1 uses IP technology and cloud servers on Comcast's network to create the world's first entertainment operating system. X1 integrates the largest collection of video with social media features, interactive apps, web content and more in one easy-to-navigate, sleek viewing experience.
"X1 offers an entirely new and personalized way for our customers to experience their TV and entertainment," said Tom Coughlin, regional senior vice president for Comcast. "X1 transforms our video product from a hardware experience to a software experience, allowing us to deliver new features and functionality to our customers faster than ever before."
The launch of X1 in the Greater Baltimore area is part of Comcast's ongoing and evolving effort to take advantage of IP technology and the cloud to constantly bring new innovations to market.
X1 features currently include:
- A modern user interface that enables one-click access to programs and a highly visual guide to entertainment options and related information
- A personalized viewing experience with recommendations based on search input and previously watched shows and movies
- The ability to search simultaneously across live TV, Xfinity On Demand and DVR recordings – and see the last nine programs watched across all services with a single tap on the remote control
- The ability to watch DVR recordings from any room in the house and simultaneously record up to four shows while watching another
- An expanding selection of tailored-for-TV apps, including social networking, traffic, weather, Pandora and a sports app to track multiple games at once and check the latest scores, standings, and schedules while watching a favorite show
- The ability to fling a Web page, like one that features streaming video, directly to the X1 set top box and view it on the big screen
- An enhanced remote control that offers greater responsiveness and does not require a line-of-sight connection to the set-top-box