SAN DIEGO, June 17, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR), a world leader in semiconductor solutions for the connected home, today announces that its Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA ®) 2.0-based silicon and software powers the NETGEAR WM2500RP MoCA-to-WiFi ® extender, which boosts whole-home video and data coverage.
NETGEAR's MoCA-to-WiFi extender uses Entropic's EN2710 MoCA 2.0 silicon and software, which is the industry's most mature MoCA 2.0 solution. The device delivers more than 400 Megabits per second (Mbps) of usable Medium Access Control (MAC) throughput; providing operators the wired backbone they need to distribute Ultra High-Definition (UHD) media and Internet bandwidth throughout the home — seamlessly and reliably. As with the success of MoCA 1.1 to enable whole-home DVR, MoCA 2.0 is the ideal networking solution to stream IP-based video to client set-top boxes throughout the home or to mobile devices.
"As cable companies migrate to headless gateways like NETGEAR's NeoMedia™ platform, MoCA 2.0 becomes essential to distribute content around the home," said Al Servati, vice president, Marketing, Connectivity Products, Entropic. "We believe service providers are hungry for mature and reliable MoCA 2.0-based home networking gear; especially as they move more IP-based entertainment and content around the home.""We continue to expand our portfolio of service provider-based home networking products, enabling them to realize increased CAPEX benefits without having to sacrifice features, performance or reliability," said Naveen Chhangani, Director Product Management, Service Provider Business at NETGEAR. "Nothing beats a wired home network for carrying premium video content throughout the home. That's why we chose Entropic's MoCA 2.0 solution as the backbone technology to distribute IP video from our media gateways and provide unconstrained WiFi bandwidth to every corner of the home with our MoCA2.0-to-WiFi adapter." Key features of NETGEAR's WM2500RP include:
- MoCA 2.0 compliant
- Dual-band, dual concurrent WiFi N600
- Gigabit Ethernet connectivity
- NETGEAR genie ® user interface and simple plug-and-play
- Seamless connectivity with any MoCA 2.0 or MoCA1.1 complaint device
- Remote management
- A complete solution with MAC, PHY, analog, RF transceiver and RF front-end functionality
- Net throughput (MAC) rates of 400+ Mbps over 16 nodes and 500+ Mbps for two-node Turbo mode
- Full backward interoperability with MoCA 1.1 and 1.0
- Low power modes with wake-on-MoCA to address energy conservation initiatives
- Improved reliability with packet error rates better than 1e-6 and a low latency of 3.5ms