Travelers, the Official Insurance Provider of the PGA TOUR, is pleased to announce the start of the 2013 Travelers Championship, which kicks off today with opening ceremonies at 9:00 a.m. EDT at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Conn.
Some of the world’s top PGA TOUR professionals are ready to tee it up and vie for the more than $6 million purse, including Justin Rose, Lee Westwood, Bubba Watson, Hunter Mahan, Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson, and many more. World-class golf and entertainment for the entire family has earned the Travelers Championship the distinction of being rated the PGA TOUR’s most fan-friendly event. The combination of professional golf and other events gives the tournament the ability to reach a wide audience and generate significant funds for charity, with 100 percent of net proceeds donated to more than 100 charities in the Northeast region, including The Hole in the Wall Gang Camp, a summer camp for children coping with cancer, sickle cell anemia and other serious illnesses. The tournament generated more than $1.15 million for charity in 2012, surpassing $30 million for charity since its inception in 1952.
“We are proud to be affiliated with a PGA TOUR event that gives us a unique way to support the community and local charities that are helping families throughout New England,” said Andy Bessette, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer of Travelers. “We are focused on delivering a world-class experience for players and fans so that we can raise more money for charity and make a meaningful impact on the region.”
One new addition to the tournament this year is the Northstar Wealth Partners Celebrity Mini Golf Tournament, which will take place on the Northstar Nine in the SUBWAY® Fan Zone. Actor, Alec Baldwin; WWE legends Sgt. Slaughter and Bob Backlund; 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist and current NBC commentator Tim Daggett; young actor C.J. Adams from the Disney film The Odd Life of Timothy Green; on-air personalities from the local and national media and other special guests will compete for a chance to win a total of $5,000 for charity. The June 19 event will consist of two waves of tee times – 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. The winning team from each wave of golfers will receive $2,500 for the charity of their choice.There are many other fan-favorite events throughout the week:
- the Travelers Celebrity Pro-Am is June 19, with stars including Chris Berman, Geno Auriemma, Sgt. Slaughter, Tim Wakefield, Doug Flutie and others;
- Women's Day is June 20, featuring a networking breakfast with UConn Women’s Basketball coach Geno Auriemma, celebrity chef Ming Tsai and Lafayette 148 New York President and Co-Founder Deirdre Quinn, along with a golf clinic and other activities for women;
- the Powerstation Events Concert Series featuring Edwin McCain on Friday, June 21, and Three Dog Night on Saturday, June 22 after the last golfer of the day finishes his round; and
- Farmington Bank Fan and Family Day, featuring the Golf Digest Hot List Tour, on June 18.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts