Covidien's Pipeline Is An Embolization Device Designed To Divert Blood Flow Away From The Aneurysm In Order To Provide A Complete And Durable Aneurysm Embolization While Maintaining Patency Of The Parent Vessel. (Photo: Business Wire)
Covidien (NYSE:COV), a leading global provider of healthcare products, today announced that the final results of the PUFs (Pipeline for Uncoilable or Failed Aneurysms) clinical study of its Pipeline™ embolization device have been published in the June issue of Radiology. 1 Radiology is the official peer-reviewed medical journal of the Radiological Society of North America.
The Pipeline device met the trial’s primary endpoints for both effectiveness and safety. Based on these data, the Pipeline device was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on April 6, 2011.
“Patients with an unruptured large or giant wide-necked aneurysm in the internal carotid artery are at significant risk of death or a highly disabling stroke and other significant neurologic complications if the aneurysm bursts or pushes on surrounding nervous tissues,” said principal investigator Tibor Becske, MD, assistant professor, Departments of Radiology, Division of Neuro Interventional Radiology and Neurology at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York. “This study of highly complex aneurysms confirms that, for certain patients, there is a safe and effective minimally invasive procedure to address the underlying pathology of the aneurysm – allowing the vessel to heal over time.”
A brain aneurysm is a weak, bulging area on the wall of an artery in the brain. Over time, the blood flow and pressure within the artery gradually weaken the arterial wall, which can result in a rupture and the release of blood into the space around the brain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV