PARIS, June 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- PARIS AIR SHOW -- Mitsubishi Corporation has contracted with Sikorsky Aircraft, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), to acquire 11 S-76D™ helicopters for use in Search and Rescue (SAR) operations by the Japan Coast Guard (JCG).
The new helicopters were ordered in three contracts that were finalized between Feb. 2012 and March 2013. The contracts are the largest series of orders to date in Asia for Sikorsky's newest commercial product. Sikorsky announced the contracts today at the Paris Air Show.
"The Japan Coast Guard has a long history with the S-76 ® model in the SAR role," said Christophe Nurit, Sikorsky's Vice President of Sales, Asia. "We are honored that JCG has chosen our most advanced S-76D helicopter variant for this critical life-saving mission."
The S-76D helicopter, which received FAA certification in 2012, is the latest in the family of popular Sikorsky's S-76 helicopters. More than 800 S-76 helicopters in the global fleet have accumulated 6.2 million flight hours during three decades of operation.Among other essential equipment crucial to the search and rescue mission, the JCG aircraft will feature a fully coupled four-axis SAR autopilot to reduce pilot workload and enhance overall mission safety. Designed for safety, reliability and efficiency, the S-76D helicopter features all-composite, flaw-tolerant main rotor blades; a fully integrated THALES glass cockpit; health and usage monitoring system; active vibration control; and powerful Pratt & Whitney Canada PW210S engines, which deliver the best in class power-to-weight ratio and fuel burn with excellent payload and range benefits. Mitsubishi's first S-76D helicopter is scheduled to assume an operational role for the JCG in 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV