The Samsung move with Jay Z gets the company the type of front cover exposure Apple no longer commands. And, in the long run, in conjunction with everything else going on, it's a net positive for Samsung and a big negative for Apple.
Similar situation with Apple TV. Jobs's exit leaves a massive and horribly obvious hole few people, particularly the folks at Apple and the company's most ardent supporters, want to talk about.
We kindly accept Cook's "area of interest" talking point. We blindly buy the story that Apple just can't get anywhere with the big content owners. We give them a pass. Like, yeah, well, those old content guys are tough to deal with, so no surprise Apple can't make this happen. Please.
I'm not convinced that when Steve Jobs said he figured things out in the living room, he meant let's embark on the impossible (and brainless) task of committing to buy billions of dollars' worth of television programming from an industry that has tons of leverage over us. No. Not at all. I think he meant let's build another kick-ass, game-changing piece of hardware. An actual television set that will take everything Samsung has done and make it look like a freaking Sony Walkman.But, with this almost constant talk about software and services, that's one thing we don't hear about much anymore at Apple. Hardware. Sure, we'll get MacBook Airs that you never have to plug in and a powerful desktop tower about 0.00005% of the population kind of, sort of needs. But will we ever get the type of earth-shattering, industry-shaking, consumer-hypnotizing products that turned Apple into the company we can talk about every single day, multiple times, and still have room for more? Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV