5 Great Stadiums Making Up for Bad Baseball Teams
It was bad enough when the bank in its name was the only thing collapsing; the Mets haven't had a winning season since their new stadium opened in 2009, the Wilpon family of owners was nearly cleaned out by Bernie Madoff, team chemistry has been unstable and stars such as Jose Reyes and R.A. Dickey ended up in Toronto, while high-priced ace Johan Santana went from pitching the franchise's first no-hitter last year to a potentially career-ending injury this year.
In short, the Mets stink and their prospects for getting better in the near future aren't great.Fortunately for fans, that means there's nothing to distract them while waiting on line for a burger at Shake Shack. Citi Field's mock Ebbets Field entrance, its Jackie Robinson Rotunda inside, its home run apple, Wiffle ball field for kids and Mets museum inside are all lovely, but it's really the food that steals the show. Even before Citi Field moved in its fences in response to home-team hitters' complaints and painted those fences Met blue to soothe the die-hards, a whole different class of fan was coming to the ballpark just to get some Blue Smoke BBQ, fries from Box Frites or kimchi and Korean BBQ from Cafe Hanover. Even Mama's of Corona churned Italian sandwiches and blue-and-orange stuffed pastry tubes for folks who don't much care about obstructed views and pitchers' parks. As long as the pastrami was hot, piled high between slices of rye bread, packaged with a sour pickle and paired with a Brooklyn Brewery or Sixpoint beer, all was right with the world. Those fans are even happier now that a 7% drop in ticket prices put the average cost of seeing the Mets at $25.30, or below the league average and less than half the price of going to a Yankee game ($51.55).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV