Stock ETFs and the Yen
What may be more remarkable than the interest rate story is the high probability than something else is weighing on common stocks -- something other than the overstated possibility of Fed tapering its bond binge.
In other words, the 10-year yield may dip back to 2% or below in the near future, but that may not be enough to encourage a stock rally. The other story? The Japanese yen may cease to depreciate further and begin recovering against world currencies; that would effectively end the "carry trade" used to finance the purchase of higher-yielding and higher appreciating assets. In fact, the CurrencyShares Yen Trust (FXY) often moves in the opposite direction as the SPY.Granted, it still makes sense to keep an eye on the direction of interest rates. If the 10-year moves significantly higher than 2.25% (a possibility that I regard as improbable), rate-sensitive income producers would feel even more pain. Still, if you really want to know whether U.S. stocks can withstand the pressure cooker, track the FXY. If the yen tracker manages to stay above its intermediate-term, 100-day trendline, and climb even higher, U.S. stocks may find themselves in the same downward spiral that other asset classes have already experienced. Follow @etfexpert This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV