Analyzing Trading Tactics and Risk
TheStreet Premium Services
A complimentary preview
of Options-Profits Previews
Question: Why do you spread most of the time instead of using a shooter tactic for a trade?
Answer: I prefer to spread because in the long run I think the odds highly favor spreading returns over shooter returns. Most stocks move up or down about 10% before either pausing or resisting any further serious price advances or declines. Option spreading takes into account the acceptance of this 10% biased approach.
Spreading makes far more trader-sense since, once again, the odds highly favor that the calls or puts of any spread that are the shorted side of the spread probably will not become in the money options. Thus, it makes sense to use those odds to lessen the risk of any trade as well as use shorted options capital to reduce the required capital for a trade.
Shooter trading should only be done with highly discretionary capital that I think of as "house money" (profits from other trades already closed out). I preferred to use spreading profits, a portion of such, to fund the shooter account.
Your approach, your options trading strategy, is for you to discover, plan, and then implement. I know this strategy worked for me which is why I still preach this "spread first, shoot later" methodology.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV