Martore did not foreclose the possibility of more deals. When asked if Gannett's leverage targets would preclude more acquisitions, she said, "No, absolutely not." Groups like Nexstar Broadcasting Group Inc. and Sinclair have been acquisitive on a smaller scale. Media General Inc. is combining with New Young Broadcasting Holding Co.
Gannett's bid triggered a rally in TV shares. Nexstar Broadcasting gained $2.22 per share on Thursday afternoon, climbing more than 8%, to $29.41. Sinclair rose $3.14, or 13%, to $27.23. Lin TV Corp. increased by $1.63, more than 14%, to $13.18. Gray Television Inc. was up 80 cents, or nearly 15%, to $6.24.
Martore emphasized the benefits of combining the two TV groups.
Marci Ryvicker of Wells Fargo Securities LLC wrote in a Thursday report that Gannett's payout metric implies a valuations of $50 for Nexstar, $35 for Sinclair, $26 for Lin and $7 for Gray. The companies expect to close the deal by the end of 2013. The transaction carries a 3.5% breakup fee.Written by Chris Nolter in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV