NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The last few weeks have been rough for equities and fixed income. The most notable decline has been the 20% decline in the Nikkei 225 Index in just 17 trading days. Interest rates have also moved up in the last few weeks on concerns of a so called tapering by the Fed which has hurt just about every type of yield oriented fund.
For years now many market pundits have been calling for rates to normalize back to higher levels and when this occurs it will likely result in serious price declines. It is impossible to know whether that has started yet but the market is trading like it is possible. One segment that has been hit has been closed end funds. In the last three weeks the PowerShares CEF Income Composite Portfolio (PCEF) has dropped more than 7%.
Closed end funds issue a set amount of shares so a large wave of selling or buying in the open market can cause the quoted market price to deviate from the net asset value of the underlying portfolio. This dynamic means that closed end funds are often prone to panicked moves even when the fundamentals of the portfolio are still sound. In the last month the PIMCO Corporate Bond Opportunity Fund (PTY) is down 15% compared to less than a 2% drop for that fund's net asset value. There are plenty of other closed end funds that have put in similar showings in the last few weeks.
Declines of this nature are a crash. Every so often segments like closed end funds, or MLPs, or preferred stocks and any other specialized segment go through violent selloffs and these selloffs always result in people realizing they did not understand the risk they were taking until after the large decline.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV