"MacBook Air is more capable than ever" the solicitation began, "...and now you can enjoy up to 12 hours of battery life on the 13-inch model and up to 9 hours on the 11-inch model. Get it today at your favorite Apple Retail Store. Or buy it at the Apple Online Store and customize it with options..."
My own MacBook is almost four years old so I'm tempted to check out the 13-inch model. Then a business contact sends me an email message that asserts that Apple is "feeling the pressure from Samsung" and is considering the launch of some kind of hybrid often referred to as a "phablet."
A phablet as you might guess is nothing more than an iPhone with a bigger screen (somewhere between almost 5 inches and almost 6 inches). The rather vague message suggested that an anonymous source who attended the June 10 developers' conference learned that the tech giant may decide to compete in the low-cost smartphone market as quickly as possible.The most reliable source of news about the company is Apple itself. You can go to its "Hot News" webpage and as they used to say in the newspaper business, "read all about it". If it isn't there it's probably speculation. There's no lack of ideas or innovations at Apple. If the company were to introduce a cheaper iPhone that was in the $99 to $159 range it would very likely blow away the competition. Even if there isn't much of a profit margin in that iPhone, selling one brings the consumer into the Apple ecosystem of products.
Apple is one of the companies listed on the stock exchange that needs no introduction. Its new products, its stated intentions and the full details of its plans to dominate its sector do need continual updates. That's why I encourage investors to regularly visit "Hot News."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV