Deutsche Bank upgraded the Chicago-based e-commerce company to "buy" with a $10 price target, as Groupon enters its "2.0" phase. Analyst Ross Sandler noted the company is in a position to grow billings at a rate of 20% or higher, as mobile continues to be key theme for the company, and it develops better search engine optimization (SEO) and search engine marketing (SEM), which could result in EBITDA being 30% higher than initially thought.
"Sentiment has improved since our initial November 'warm-up,' and now we are upgrading amidst the current transition phase before growth turns back up," Sandler wrote in a note.
Groupon shares were soaring 11% to $7.64 in morning trading.Groupon started off as a daily deals company, but Sandler believes the next five to 10 years for the company are going to look extremely different than the company that went public less than two years ago. The company has three primary growth drivers in the future, Sandler noted. "[B]etter activation of current subs (200m+) to customers through personalization, 2) driving new customers at the top of the funnel through mobile app and PC website, and 3) launching more selection, including new channels and further penetrating Goods." Shares of Groupon were sharply higher in premarket trading on Friday, up 7.58% to $7.38. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV