The Winnipeg Free Press Wins The Canadian Journalism Foundation Excellence In Journalism Award
TORONTO, June 14, 2013 /CNW/ - The Winnipeg Free Press ha s won the Excellence in Journalism Award in the large-media category at the 16 th Annual Canadian Journalism Foundation (CJF) Awards. This is the second time it has won the award.
The Tyee won in the small-media category, also for the second time. Both news organizations won in 2009.
"This award is for the reporters, photographers and the editors who have made our newsroom the best in Canada," said Paul Samyn , editor of the Winnipeg Free Press, upon accepting the award. "They have boundless imagination, energy, and commitment. What the CJF recognized is the way we practise our craft, the way we have answered the calling to care and dare to make a difference and the courage needed in pursuit of truth."
Other Excellence in Journalism Award finalists in the large-media category included CBC News: Special Investigations Unit, The Current - CBC Radio one (last year's winner), Postmedia News, and past recipient Toronto Star." The Winnipeg Free Press is a leader in reaching out to its community," says Murray Campbell , a member of the CJF Excellence jury. "This is shown in its story selection, its staffing decisions and through innovations such as the News Café, which seeks to connect the paper to its readers." Finalists in the small-media category included CBC New Brunswick, CP24, Turtle Island News and last year's winner, the Vancouver Observer. Michelle Hoar , director of publishing and advertising of The Tyee, accepted the award, calling it "an incredible honour." Speaking about the Excellence in Journalism small-media winner, Campbell said: "The Tyee continues to set a superb example of strong, provocative journalism."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV