Media Advisory - CAW Reaches Tentative Deal With VIA Rail, Avoids Labour Disruption
MONTREAL, June 13, 2013 /CNW/ - A tentative collective agreement has been reached between the CAW and VIA Rail this evening, following days of tense, round-the-clock negotiations in Montreal.
"We're very pleased to have reached a tentative deal with VIA Rail," said Bob Orr, Assistant to the CAW National President. "This has been a long and emotional process for our master bargaining committee. We've spent days engaged in very tense bargaining on issues most important to members and we're happy to have settled this contract without a labour disruption."
CAW Council 4000 Secretary-Treasurer Heather Grant said the union always expected these negotiations to be difficult, but were committed to reaching a settlement that was fair.
"VIA Rail is undergoing a major modernization program and we wanted to ensure that workers, the company's most important asset, weren't left behind," Grant said.CAW Local 100 President Ken Hiatt commended the master bargaining committee for their hard work in reaching a tentative settlement. "Forty-eight hours ago, we honestly didn't think we'd get to this point. But we were determined to make this work, for the good of our members and VIA passengers," Hiatt said. Details of the tentative settlement will be released to members in the coming days. The ratification schedule is also currently being developed. The CAW represents more than 2000 customer service, on-board service and maintenance workers at VIA Rail. SOURCE Canadian Auto Workers Union (CAW)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV