PRI Receives Grant From Ford Foundation To Increase Understanding Of How Immigrants In America Experience Key Social Justice Issues
MINNEAPOLIS, June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Public Radio International (PRI) has received a grant of $500,000 over two years from the Ford Foundation in support of Global Nation, a major content initiative designed to inform and engage the public on pressing social justice issues as experienced by foreign-born Americans and their children. PRI will work with ethnic media, local public radio stations, and independent producers across the country to identify the social justice stories affecting immigrant communities, and to give the voices of immigrants on these issues national prominence. PRI's The World®, the daily global news program co-produced by PRI, WGBH Radio, and the BBC World Service, will serve as the national broadcast platform for this coverage.
Launched in 2012, Global Nation is designed to bring to light the compelling human stories behind the headlines through fact-based original journalism. Seed funding from the Rita Allen Foundation enabled PRI to launch the initiative. The grant from the Ford Foundation will enable PRI to bring the initiative to scale and extend its reach and impact through two interconnected elements:
- enterprise reporting that reveals the facts of immigrant experience and immigrant impact, and the intersection with key social justice issues, through narrative journalism grounded in data and context; and
- the creation and support of an online community of people and civic organizations that care about immigration and immigrant experience, to inform and extend this coverage and engage a more diverse audience.
The funding from the Ford Foundation will enable PRI to add new editorial, technology, and digital resources and capacity to carry out these activities. Over the next two years, the initiative will result in over 180 contextual, nuanced stories about immigrants, immigration, and social justice, for broadcast and online.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV