Quick Take: Stocks Are Up But Don't Exhale Yet
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The markets might be higher now, but things may not be as good as they appear, Ben Willis of Albert Fried told TheStreet's Debra Borchardt.
"We're still in the throes of a major market correction," he said. Despite the strength in the equities so far this year, Willis says we might have a bit more downside left in this current correction as the focus grows on interest rates and whether the Federal Reserve will end its stimulus efforts.
Global markets have also been volatile as investors try to position themselves amid the uncertainty from central banks, which have held rates very low for the past several years, he added.
"We know the Fed is going to start tapering at some point," he said. While the Fed has indicated it will let investors know well in advance of its tapering efforts, Willis said he wouldn't be surprised if the central bank has already started slowing on buying mortgage-backed securities.He pointed out that 30-year mortgages have seen a 50-basis-point jump in a relatively short period of time, indicating that something isn't right. "We're getting a very clear signal that within six months you'll see tapering from around the world," he said. What about a deeper correction? Willis told Borchardt he "hopes" there is one, adding that "corrections are not bad." -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @traderboy23
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV