Borchardt said that there has been lots of speculation that Google made the roughly $1 billion acquisition in a move for its self-driven car technology.
Ciaccia said Google likely will use Waze for both the social aspect and the traffic integration technology. Although Google Maps does have some traffic technology, Waze should allow Google to perfect the service.
Waze can also pick up the slack where Google+ has not. Google+ hasn't really gained much traction, and Waze's social integration should also help Google on the social front.The deal will also allow Waze to stay in Israel, a big reason why terms with Facebook (FB) did not work out, Ciaccia said. Ciaccia stressed that Google is an advertising company and anything that can help it gain an edge in knowing where its users are will be a win for them at the end of the day. He also said that if you're stuck in traffic and Google knows where you are, it will be better equipped with more efficient ads of surrounding restaurants or entertainment to brighten the day. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @traderboy23
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV