BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Welcome to this week's Biotech Stock Mailbag.
The results from the phase III study of Exact Sciences' (EXAS) non-invasive colon cancer screening test were labeled disappointing by a lot of investors, analysts and biotech stock commentators (ahem) when released on April 17.
Alan P. writes: "With biotech companies doing so well and the stocks surging, I'm surprised that we're not seeing more acquisitions being announced. Is there a reason for this? The rumors about takeovers don't seem to come true very much and I wonder why. Thanks for your help." Alan is correct about the relative dearth of healthcare mergers-and-acquisitions activity this year. Through the end of May, U.S.-based M&A healthcare deals totaled $34.1 billion, down 12% compared to the same time period last year, according to healthcare merchant bank Burrill & Co.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV