Gold for August delivery at the COMEX division of the CME was dipping $9.90 to $1,382.10 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,394.40 and as low as $1,376 an ounce, while the spot price was falling $13.58.
Gold was dipping lower in Europe's early-afternoon trading session as the U.S. dollar strengthened against the euro currency, and the precious metal dropped further in early-morning trades at the New York Mercantile Exchange as weekly jobless claims and a retail sales report printed stronger than expected.
"The latest move which can be seen -- I think it started in the early afternoon today -- is broadly due to the strengthening of the U.S. dollar, at least that's the only thing that we can see here on our screens," said Daniel Briesemann, commodities analyst at Commerzbank AG, said in a phone call from Frankfurt.The Japanese yen surged against the greenback after the Nikkei in Tokyo tumbled 6.35%, but traders felt that Thursday's low double-digit losses weren't more than a range-bound trade. "It's just stuck here," said Tom Vitiello, principal at Aurum Options Strategies. "Obviously when the market over there is getting hit, people may be just liquidating their positions in a lot of different
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV