NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jill Malandrino discusses the retail apparel space with Perry Ellis International (PERY) CEO George Feldenkreis as the company celebrates its 20th anniversary of its listing on Nasdaq.
Feldenkreis said that one big trend in apparel has been that sales to men have been growing at a stable pace -- even through the 2008 financial crisis -- while sales of women's clothing have had some bad years.
Men have become more fashion-oriented than ever before, the CEO said.
Another important issue for apparel retailers has been trying to pinpoint where the customer is, Feldenkreis said. He said that there's a new generation of consumers who don't like to go to stores and instead prefer to shop online. There are also clear divisions now between upscale, midmarket and discount retailers."The big question in our business is: Where is the consumer going to be positioned?" Feldenkreis said. "The consumer is really being positioned all over." The CEO said the company has a big presence in Mexico with many of its brands. It's building a lot of business in Latin America because of the company's location in Miami. Elsewhere in emerging markets, Perry Ellis has several joint ventures in China, "This year is going to be a fairly good year for the apparel industry," Feldenkreis concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. . Follow @traderboy23
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV