Today, Time Warner Cable’s philanthropic initiative, Connect a Million Minds (CAMM), in partnership with 826 National, announced an expansion of its science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and Creative Writing program onstage at the 2013 Clinton Global Initiative America (CGI America). The expanded Commitment to Action will result in the publication of a book – a compilation of lesson plans fusing STEM and creative writing - launching in fall 2014 for use in various afterschool settings. The book will be informed by a series of workshops taking place over the next year that incorporate hands on science learning into 826 National’s proven creative writing model.
“Cross disciplinary thinking is essential when it comes to innovation,” said Gerald Richards, CEO of 826 National. “Science and creative writing may sound like an unlikely pairing. By fusing the two topics, we are seeing a new sense of enthusiasm in students. We’re excited to expand and build more workshops with Time Warner Cable to make science relevant, accessible and fun.”
Starting this summer at 826LA, 826NYC, Operation Breakthrough (Kansas City) and the Flushing YMCA (NYC), students ranging in ages from eight to 12 will participate in workshops like “The Science of Superheroes” and the “STEM of the Zombie Apocalypse” that aim to make science relevant and exciting. The program’s hands-on activities, designed for outside-the-classroom learning, will build off one another to employ different skill sets, from creative exploration to hypothesis-building skills.
“Time Warner Cable is proud to continue our partnership with 826 National and expand our commitment to fuse STEM and creative writing, which are essential skills for innovation,” said Glenn Britt, CEO of Time Warner Cable. “Connect a Million Minds encourages young people to get excited about science, and this unique program will foster creativity in scientific thought.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV