More than 30 percent of online Canadian consumers are more likely to buy from a company after following them on Twitter, according to a new study released today by global digital marketing leader ExactTarget (NYSE:ET).
Based on a survey of more than 1,300 online Canadian consumers (ages 18 and older), the research found Twitter users are more likely than Facebook and email users to buy from a company after engaging with them online.
- 93 percent of online Canadian consumers subscribe to at least one email marketing program
- 44 percent of consumers that subscribe to a brand’s email program have made a purchase after receiving an email marketing message
- 89 percent of consumers report checking email at least once daily
- 61 percent of online Canadian consumers have liked a brand or company on Facebook
- 24 percent of consumers (ages 25-34) on Facebook have made a purchase after receiving a marketing message on Facebook
- 48 percent of Facebook users (18-34) report checking Facebook compulsively throughout the day
- 13 percent of online Canadian consumers have followed a brand on Twitter
- 47 percent of Canadian Twitter users follow brands to keep up with a company’s products, services or offerings
- 5 percent of consumers on Twitter have made a purchase after receiving a marketing message on Twitter
“Canada is among the most digitally connected countries we’ve surveyed which creates a tremendous opportunity for marketers to connect with Canadian consumers across the channels they use most- email, Facebook and Twitter,” said Tim Kopp, ExactTarget’s chief marketing officer. “Our Digital North research offers exclusive insights into why and how consumers engage with brands online, equipping marketers with the necessary tools to optimize digital engagements and fuel business results.”The debut of the research follows ExactTarget’s launch of similar studies in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Brazil, Germany and France. Together, the research provides global marketers new insight into how consumers around the globe interact with brands across email, Facebook and Twitter.