HP comfortably beat Wall Street's estimates in its second quarter last month, boosted by better-than-expected performance in Enterprise Services and Printing, as well as savings from restructuring and improved operations.
Marshall, however, warned that investors should not get too carried away, despite Whitman's progress. "In our view, HPQ has been making solid progress on its "fix and rebuild" process this year but a return to top-line growth and margin expansion next year will prove more difficult as higher-value segments (e.g., software and services) continue to face competitive pressure and PCs/Printing are secularly challenged."
During the second quarter, for example, revenue from HP's Personal Systems Group declined 20% from the prior year's quarter, underlining the challenges posed by PC market.
Marshall maintained his "neutral" rating on HP.--Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV