Moody's forecast a "wave" of merger and acquisition activity among broadcast stations, in a a May 7 industry analysis, citing arbitrage opportunities for retransmission fees.
"Broadcast acquisitions give buyers immediate financial arbitrage with minimal risk, allowing them to raise the retransmission fees paid by the seller's existing cable, satellite and telecom video service providers," Carl Salas, a Moody's vice president, wrote in the report.
Gannett's acquisition is expected to close by the end of 2013 and is subject antitrust approval, Federal Communications Commission approval and support by holders of two-thirds of the voting power of Belo shares.Gannett expects to finance the merger through cash on hand, bank financing and new debt. The company said it will continue its share buyback program, but this time with a $300 million authorization to be used over the next two years. Gannett will also maintain its dividend, the company said. Standard & Poors affirmed Gannett's BB debt rating on Thursday and changed its outlook on the company's debt from 'stable' to 'positive.' J.P. Morgan is providing financial advice and Nixon Peabody and Paul Hastings are serving as legal advisors to Gannett on the deal. RBC Capital Markets is providing financial advice and Wachtell Lipton Rosen & Katz is acting as legal advisor to Belo. -- Written by Antoine Gara in New York Follow @AntoineGara
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV