Samsung, HTC and other device makers have demonstrated that there is a market for larger smartphones, especially in China. Apple's iPhone 5 is the smallest smartphone among the newest set, at 4-inches.
This comes as Apple accounted for the highest market share in the U.S. ,according to comScore, with 39.2% of the handset market.
Apple has clearly felt the pressure to show innovation to the marketplace and Wall Street, as its stock has come well off the highs. in Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote address, Apple senior vice president of marketing Phil Schiller showed off the new Mac Pro. "Can't innovate anymore, my ass," Schiller said, clearly referencing the innovation concerns.
Shares have fallen 18.8% year to date, and are down 34.58% since the introduction of the iPhone 5 in late September.AAPL data by YCharts
Apple shares were lower in premarket trading, off 0.27% to $431.02. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV