WORCESTER, Mass., June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Comprehensive results from new research, the Burden of Narcolepsy Disease (BOND) study – the largest of its kind – indicate that the sleep disorder narcolepsy has a significant impact on both the people living with the condition and our healthcare system.
Specifically, the BOND data found:
- People with narcolepsy, with or without cataplexy (muscle weakness), were more likely to experience an increased rate of comorbidities, including mental illness, endocrine disorders, digestive disorders and cardiovascular disease when compared to the general population.
- People with narcolepsy experience significantly higher health and medical costs compared to the general population.
These data, supported by Jazz Pharmaceuticals plc (Nasdaq: JAZZ), were presented at SLEEP 2013, the annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC (APSS), held in Baltimore, MD, June 1-5.
"This important new study creates a far-reaching call to action for increased awareness and recognition of the symptoms and co-morbidities of narcolepsy, for better and earlier diagnosis, and for more regular screenings," said Monica Gow, Wake Up Narcolepsy executive director and co-founder.Additional Research Reported Results from two additional surveys presented at SLEEP 2013 characterize the impact that narcolepsy, as a misunderstood and under-diagnosed medical condition, has on patient care. The Awareness and Knowledge in Narcolepsy (AWAKEN) survey found that almost a quarter of 100 sleep specialists and more than half of 300 primary care physicians surveyed are not comfortable diagnosing narcolepsy. Results from the Patients' Journeys to a Narcolepsy Diagnosis survey of physicians characterize the many challenges patients must overcome and indicate that patients often go through multiple misdiagnoses and physician visits before reaching an accurate narcolepsy diagnosis. These data suggest that a patient's journey to diagnosis may take almost two years, and require multiple physician visits and misdiagnoses.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts