June 13, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Today, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN), unveils a free, interactive online simulation tool that enables motor designers to assess
TI's InstaSPIN™-field-oriented-control (FOC) technology
allows users to fully evaluate TI InstaSPIN-FOC's superior software-sensor-based "sensorless" control for variable speed and load applications using three-phase, synchronous or asynchronous motors. Within the online simulation, evaluators can select from a library of motors, customize speed and load profiles and obtain simulation results within minutes. The simulation viewer enables users to view each waveform with a variety of zoom and pan options, perform numerous waveform analyses (e.g., period calculations, RMS, average) and print results. The entire experience is intended to give users confidence to proceed with motor designs using TI InstaSPIN-FOC motor technology.
Introduced in February, TI's InstaSPIN-FOC removes the need for a mechanical motor rotor sensor, reduces system costs and improves operation using TI's new software encoder (sensorless observer) algorithm, FAST™ (flux, angle, speed and torque), embedded in the read-only-memory (ROM) on TI's 32-bit
C2000™ Piccolo™ microcontrollers
. InstaSPIN-FOC also eases development and complexity for designers — even those with limited motor control experience — and enables premium solutions that improve motor efficiency, performance and reliability in all variable speed and variable load motor applications. This motor technology joins the previously introduced
technologies and will be followed with future InstaSPIN variations to make motor control development easier and more efficient.
Web-based interactive simulation puts the InstaSPIN-FOC™ FAST software observer to the test, proving it truly can:
Pricing and availability
- Save months of research and design time. Use the revolutionary new observer to feed the FOC algorithm. The FAST observer has already been designed, built, tested and coded within the memory of select C2000 TM Piccolo TM MCUs.
- Offer near encoder performance. View accurate angle estimates with respect to the true flux axis of the machine. Typical performance of the angle estimator is usually less than one degree off of the actual flux axis, depending on speed. This allows you to eliminate the encoder in many applications where it was previously required.
- Eliminate need for other system sensors. Verify how the FAST software observer accurately tracks motor torque, motor speed and motor flux to eliminate separate sensors for these system parameters.
- A ccommodate a multitude of three-phase motors. BLDC, SPM and AC induction motors can all be tested with the simulation (IPM motors are also supported with the InstaSPIN-FOC solution).
- Facilitate a quick startup period. The FAST observer quickly adapts to chaotic startup conditions and can transition to closed-loop sensorless control usually within one cycle of the AC waveforms.
- Achieve slow speed performance with angle integrity preserved at steady state below 1 Hz (typical) with full torque, reversals through zero speed and smooth stall recovery.
InstaSPIN-FOC online simulation tool
for free today. InstaSPIN-FOC is available today on the production-ready, 90 MHz, 32-bit floating point
Piccolo F2806xF microcontrollers
per 10 Ku. InstaSPIN-FOC will be featured on several other Piccolo microcontrollers in the near future. After testing the technology through the web based simulation tool, designers can begin their latest InstaSPIN-FOC motor designs with a low-voltage, low-current motor control kit for
), low-voltage, high-current motor control kit for
) or high-voltage motor control kit for
). Previously purchased (latest hardware revision) versions of these motor control kits work with the modular InstaSPIN™-FOC-enabled Piccolo controlCARD for
Find out more about
and TI motor control solutions:
TI's broad portfolio of microcontrollers (MCUs) and software
Leading the industry in MCUs for low-power, real-time control, safety and connectivity and, TI continues its 20+ years of microcontroller innovation to offer the broadest microcontroller portfolio in the industry: Ultra-low-power MSP MCUs, real-time control C2000™ MCUs, Tiva™ ARM
MCUs and Hercules™ ARM MCUs. Designers can accelerate time to market by tapping into TI's tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at
InstaSPIN, C2000, Piccolo, MSP, Tiva and MotorWare are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated