Johnson & Johnson
The exact opposite pattern is shaping up in shares of Johnson & Johnson ( JNJ) right now. This pattern is basically the setup in Apple, but flipped upside down.
JNJ is forming a head and shoulders top, with a neckline in place at the $83.50 level. A breakdown below that price is a sell (or short) signal for shares of JNJ. It's no coincidence that JNJ has hefty pharmaceutical exposure, much like our other bearish trade, Pfizer. As an industry, pharma is looking weak technically, and the setup in JNJ makes that weakness tradable. If and when this trade triggers, it activates a downside target at $79.Whenever you're looking at any technical price pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers. After all, triangles, channels and head and shoulders patterns are a good quick way to explain what's going on in this stock, but they're not the reason it's tradable. Instead, it all comes down to supply and demand for shares. JNJ's neckline level at $83.50, for instance, is a place where buyers have previously been more eager to buy on the dip than sellers have been to keep taking gains on shares. A move through that $83.50 level indicates that sellers have gained enough steam to absorb all of the excess demand there. That's what makes it a sell signal. To see this week's trades in action, check out this week's Must-See Charts portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV