CINCINNATI, June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK) is prepared for severe weather approaching its Midwest service territory in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky.
Company meteorologists have been tracking and monitoring the storm and believe the region may see strong storms Wednesday that may result in power outages.
As part of its preparation, Duke Energy is checking equipment, supplies and inventories to ensure it has adequate materials to make repairs and restore power.Storms are unpredictable. Until we are confident in the storm's path and its impact to our customers, we will not release any Duke Energy employees or contractors to assist with restoration efforts outside of our service areas. Duke Energy offers the following customer tips:
- Check supplies and be sure to have the following items in an emergency response kit: portable radio with fresh batteries, flashlight, first-aid kit, canned or packaged food that can be prepared without cooking or refrigeration, several days' supply of drinking water.
- If someone in your home has special needs or relies on electric-powered life support equipment, determine now the actions you'd take in the event of an extended power outage (i.e., relocate your family member or have a backup generator available). Encourage other family members, friends and neighbors to do the same.
- As severe weather begins to move through the area, be watchful for downed or sagging power lines. Consider all lines energized as well as trees or limbs in contact with lines.
- Please report downed power lines to Duke Energy and your local police department.
- If a power line falls across a car that you're in, stay in the car. If you MUST get out of the car due to a fire or other immediate life-threatening situation, do your best to jump clear of the car and land on both feet. Be sure that no part of your body is touching the car when your feet touch the ground.
- Visit Duke Energy's storm preparedness website www.duke-energy.com/storms for links to outage reporting tools, safety information and tips.
- Follow these social media accounts to get up-to-date information about outages and restoration efforts:
- Duke Energy's mobile-enhanced website makes it easier than ever to report an outage via your Smartphone or mobile device.
- Ohio and Kentucky -- 800-543-5599
- Indiana -- 800-343-3525
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV