NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- JPMorgan Chase (JPM) "remains on track to increase tangible book at a double-digit pace and deliver a mid-teens return on tangible equity," according to Sterne Agee analyst Todd Hagerman.
The analyst on Wednesday increased his 12-month price target for JPMorgan's shares to $64 from $54, showing potential upside of 20% from Tuesday's closing price of $53.49.
Hagerman in a note to clients raised his 2013 operating earnings estimate for JPMorgan to $5.80 a share from $5.50, and raised his 2014 EPS estimate to $6.15 from $5.85. "After a relatively soft and erratic April, capital markets activity, consumer confidence, and housing have thus far registered ahead of expectations this quarter," he wrote.
Sterne Agee is out in front of the consensus EPS estimates among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters of $5.70 for 2013 and $5.95 for 2014.JPMorgan earned $6.5 billion, or $1.59 a share during the first quarter, increasing from $5.7 billion, or $1.39 a share, in the fourth quarter, and $4.9 billion, or $1.19 a share, during the first quarter of 2012. Results during the most recent quarter were boosted by a $1.2 billion release of loan loss reserves in the company's Consumer & Community Banking segment. Hagerman expects a continued lift to earnings from credit leverage, as "credit quality improvement continues to outpace expectations following the severity of the financial downturn." A major challenge for JPMorgan Chase and most other large mortgage lenders is the slowdown in refinancing activity and the narrowing of gain-on-sale spreads as long-term interest rates rise. JPMorgan's first-quarter mortgage production revenue, which excludes loan repurchase losses, was $401 million, declining from 25% from a year earlier. Despite that challenge, along with low overall loan growth, "JPM's core business
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV