Apple is one of the most well-known and respected brands in the world and, as the mobile payments industry continues to take shape, Apple could disrupt a whole new market. In a recent note, Citi research estimates that mobile payments "could see a transaction value of $1 [trillion] by 2016," though there are various wide-ranging estimates on how big it could ultimately be.
The tech giant has hinted that payments could be the next big thing as it transitions the perception about it from a hardware company into more of a software and services company. Perhaps we'll find out if payments are indeed the next big thing for Apple once the next iPhone and iPad are released, and if Apple has "one more thing" waiting.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
>Contact by Email.Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV